Dedicated to exposing conspiracy theories and outright lies

"Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?" (Galatians 4:16)

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own fact." - Sen. Daniel Patrick “Pat” Moynihan [D-NY] (1927-2003)

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Unwired

After subscribing to it since the very first issue, I've canceled my subscription to WIRED magazine. I've been reading less and less of it, since it was quickly becoming a techie version of Playboy, seemingly more interested in promoting the newest gadget that will be outdated before the month is up. The editorials were sliding into a heavy Libertarian mindset, and after briefly being a member of the Libertarian Party of New Jersey, it was leaving a bad taste in my mouth (Who was it who wrote that Libertarians worship Liberty the way Christians worship Christ, or that Libertarians believe in "all the freedom money can buy"?)

Well, what got stuck in my craw was Matt Power's article Inconvenient Truths: Get Ready to Rethink What It Means to Be Green. While they do have a number of (glaringly obvious) truisms (nuclear energy deserves a second look, Urban living can be better for the environment), they got their math horribly wrong on the carbon footprint of air conditioning and harvesting of old growth forests.

I strongly urge you folks to read Real Climate's article Wired Magazine's Incoherent Truths.

Besides, I get more enjoyment reading MAKE and CRAFT. Those are magazines that I truly look forward to (I even keep them in slipcases!).

So long, Wired. It's been nice knowing you.

No comments: